Bathrooms are often one of the smallest rooms in the house, but they play a significant role in daily life. Whether you’re looking to create a spa-like retreat or just a functional space, interior design is key to achieving the desired look and functionality. Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when it comes to bathroom interior design.
- Use Neutral Colors: Neutral colors like white, beige, and grey make small spaces look larger and are timeless.
- Lighting is Key: Proper lighting can make a big difference in a bathroom. Natural light is always best, but when that is not an option, ensure the artificial lighting is sufficient.
- Choose the Right Tiles: Tiles can make or break the look of a bathroom. Consider the size, shape, and color of the tiles when making your selection. Large-format tiles can create a seamless look and make a space appear larger.
- Use Mirrors Wisely: Mirrors reflect light and create the illusion of space, so they are a great addition to any bathroom.
- Invest in Storage: Storage is essential in any bathroom, but you don’t want to sacrifice style for function. Consider stylish solutions like floating shelves, ladder shelving, or a recessed medicine cabinet.
- Overcrowd the Space: Bathrooms should be functional but not overcrowded. Keep only the essentials in the bathroom, and store other items in a nearby closet.
- Choose Busy Patterns: Busy patterns can make a small space feel cramped and overwhelming. Instead, choose simple, subtle patterns or solid colors.
- Skimp on the Finishing Touches: Finishing touches can make or break the look of a bathroom. Accessories like towel hooks, a waste bin, or a toothbrush holder can all add to the overall design.
- Ignore Ventilation: Bathrooms produce a lot of moisture, and proper ventilation is essential to prevent mold and mildew. Ensure the space has adequate ventilation or install a fan.
- Settle for Poor Quality: Bathrooms undergo a lot of wear and tear, so it’s essential to choose high-quality fixtures, tiles, and other materials that can stand up to daily use.